About Me

My photo
moved to Saskatoon for 10 months in 1984....put down a tap root.

Friday, April 29, 2011

way behind on books

This morning I got up and found all four cats sitting in front of my computer monitor waving little Union Jacks and watching coverage of the Royal Wedding.  They wouldn't let me near the screen so I went off to make breakfast.  One doesn't have to be a "Royal Watcher" (like the cats) to get interested in the pomp and circumstance - never mind the hats. 

It got me thinking of a book I read from our Grade 7 class room library The Little Princesses - which was a fascinating insider account of the lives of Elizabeth and Margaret from child hood to the birth of Prince Charles.  I really enjoyed reading it back then and on checking the web today to confirm the title and author I was a little saddened to learn that the writer, their Governess; Marion Crawford was denied permission by the Royal Family to publish a memoir and completely cut off following the publication of this book - though apparently the Royals continued to entertain the publishers who recruited her to write it in the first place.  I had no idea the Grade 7 library shelf contained a book considered "scandelous" in the previous decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment