About Me

My photo
moved to Saskatoon for 10 months in 1984....put down a tap root.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Social Networking

I was encouraged to get a facebook account when I was on Strike.  I didn't find it too useful at the time and discovered - it is nay impossible to delete a facebook account afterwards. So I deleted everything I had uploaded - and posted a message that I had "left facebook"  but I still get the odd email from someone wanting to "friend" or advertise something even though it is several years since I logged into it.  I guess I disliked how it just added event advertising clutter to my inbox.

I looked at the demographics of  orkut and noticed there are not enough people in my age set using it to show up on the bar graph so perhaps it's a new trick few of us old dogs are learning.

OTOH I sometimes enjoy seeing the tweets that are embedded in some of the blogs I like to visit or news sites - they sort of remind me of that cute little "today's smile" joke box on the front page of the old globe and mail.  What I find really lame are the twitter sites that people of importance have set up because it is the trendy thing to do but don't bother maintaining - or only tweet such safe things that you might as well wait for their annual newsletter. They tweet formal announcementish things that I would expect to find somewhere on their blog or website like "events" or "press releases"

Twitter seems to work best in very specific communities of interest -  How could a library best use this form of communication?  Maybe immediate things like "our photo copier is out of order - the closest one that works is in the Blah Library."  or "will the person who spilled that latte all over the serials reading area table find somwhere else to study?" - okay maybe not that.  ;-)

1 comment: