About Me

My photo
moved to Saskatoon for 10 months in 1984....put down a tap root.

Friday, April 1, 2011

flickr as a lurker

I have enjoyed finding things in flickr over the years - especially when relatives post photo streams of my great nieces and nephew - wonderful tool for sharing family photos around the globe. Especially for me since none of my family lives in Saskatchewan - or the prairies.

I have never been tempted to share many of my photo's before this exercise because - 1. I take really dull photos which only really appeal to me, 2. see 1. 3. Years ago when I took up photography (using a dark room and all the chemistry involved) it was such a complex process and every shot you took had a cost attached even if you bought bulk film (which was beyond my level of dedication) and processed it with a contact sheet instead of prints. (really this paragraph IS going somewhere) I had the rules instilled into me that were articulated in this assignment - ie you need permission to take pictures of people and to publish or post them. In fact we were also aware, us photography buffs at the time, that it was very rude to take pictures of people of certain ethnicity and we should be very sensitive to cultural attitudes towards cameras.

A few years ago ( OKAY about a decade ago ) one of my friends complained bitterly to me that she HATED how people with digital cameras at conferences felt they could just shoot random pictures of participants and audiences and post or publish them. Yet we all seem to do it. Only at the culturally sensitive events do they announce that you can request the photographer remove you from any pictures prior to posting or publishing them.

So I like taking pictures of animals and inanimate objects - no permission documentation required

No comments:

Post a Comment