About Me

My photo
moved to Saskatoon for 10 months in 1984....put down a tap root.

Friday, March 18, 2011

and another book

Okay I spotted this book while rough-shelving on my circ shift - finding books with cool and enticing titles - an occupational hazard yes? Dung Beetle Ecology edited by Ilkka Hanski and Yves Cambefort was published by Prinseton U. Press 20 years ago. I guess it caught my eye because, clenching my insufficiently gloved hands walking to work this AM (it was a mitten morning - should have checked) I was thinking about my post winter, ready to almost overflow composters and how I better really deal with them this spring. So the benefites of rot are high on my radar today.

Just a quick glance at the preface tells me Dung Beetles are good parents - building nests like birds and nurturing their young - some birds and Dung Beetles produce only one offspring per breeding season. So clearly they have to take good care of them, invest in college funds, the best summer camps, get braces on their teeth...dung beetles as helicopter parents - who knew?*

Yes I am going to check it out - not exactly lunch time reading but still more interesting than Dan Brown.

*some of the facts in this paragraph are from the preface some from my overly colourful imagination

No comments:

Post a Comment