About Me

My photo
moved to Saskatoon for 10 months in 1984....put down a tap root.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

out there in the ether

Google Documents do work seamlessly  - I had not been tempted to try them before but now that I understand the shared editing capacity I can really see the appeal.  I had a conversation about google documents on my way to work this morning - which being the break and being here earlier (early is a concept that I am generally allergic to) I have been getting rides with the resident tech support instead of plodding though the snow. (not only does he fix printers, get the lids of jars and remember the co-op number, he reaches things on high shelves AND drives a car to work) 

The idea of storing stuff on free server space out there seems just a little nervous making.  What happens if the great google disappears - how dependent should we allow ourselves to be on this benevolent web based empire?

yes it is a hollow fear - the documents can be downloaded for local warehousing as well.

But setting that aside what a better way to share documents than the tedious MS office  which is always upgrading and leaving one third of the various committee members behind and unable to open the agenda or minutes and the recently upgraded folks not geeky enough to grasp the concept of  saving things as text files or in previous incarnations of word.

Google documents - very collaborative friendly.  We have come a long way from copying things out on velum.

No comments:

Post a Comment